I am still behind on my NaNoWriMo project. I’m at about 4500 words right now and I am starting to realize how difficult the time commitment is for me. I will have to start eliminating some of the time-wasters from my life for a while if I am going to make it.
Six Quick Tips for Writing Descriptions
- Close your eyes and try to recreate the image in your head.
- Remember that people have five senses. Don’t just rely on visual description.
- Adjectives should describe, not evaluate. Describing skin as smooth or tan is better than describing it as pretty or perfect.
- Don’t over-describe things. A description should enhance the story, not drag it to a stop.
- Don’t describe things that don’t matter. If you spend a paragraph discussing a minor character’s mustache-grooming ritual, it had better be important to your story.
- Draw your descriptions from real-life memories.