I am feeling extremely random today. I am filled with brief thoughts but cannot seem to paste them together into a coherent article. Time keeps passing and I know people want their prompts. Anyone who blogs knows that this can only result in a list post. So without further ado:
Six random thoughts about poetry:
- You should buy at least four new books by current poets each year. It isn’t that much money and it helps support poetry. If you ever write a book you will want other people to buy it, so the least you can do is help others. Also, reading new poetry should be a pleasure worth paying for.
- iTunes has a dedicated section for spoken word performers. It is another great place to find poetry and support the poets directly.
- Every poet, and every writer, should keep a journal or some other method or recoding their thoughts with them for the moments when inspiration strikes. My iPod Touch does the job for me in a pinch, but nothing beats the look and feel of a real journal.
- Sometimes it is good to get out of the house when you write poetry. Six places I’ve enjoyed writing poetry at are:
- The beach
- Long car rides
- Sidewalk cafÃ©s
- The park
- The mountains
- You should schedule a time, at least once a week, to write poetry. If writing poetry matters to you, make it a priority.
- Everyone who writes poetry has their own reasons. I write poetry because I enjoy it, because I have something to say, because it lets me process my thoughts, and because I like to think of myself as a poet. What are your reasons?
Finally, there are five days left and as you may be able to tell, my topics are running a bit thin. Do you have any questions? I’ll answer them if I can.
Today’s Poetry Prompt
Write a poem as that uses every letter of the alphabet at least once.
Give up on that idea of the old west
We have skyscrapers
Master planned communities
Lighting pollution laws
Major league baseball
At the moment
We have high tech jobs
Outdoor concert venues
Laser hair removal
Everything under the sun
Our big badass sun
Come take a look
And bring money!