Spectrum Networks is looking for passionate, talented and driven individuals with an eagerness to join the best and most dedicated in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment. Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant and timely news that is important to the local communities we serve.
What is Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Spectrum News Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network that requires employees be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Spectrum Networks employees are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour breaking news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
An Assignment Editor to work with Reporters and Producers on news coverage, special events and story idea development. Contributes to story ideas and advances developing stories.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create stories and work with reporters in setting up future stories
- Work with managers to adjust schedules for last minute coverage
- Gather story ideas from reporters, producers, and other sources
- Propose coverage strategy with at least one week in advance of daily news coverage
- Help plan daily and long term coverage
- Work on planning special projects for the future
- Monitor websites and social media sources
- Read county and city Government agendas for story ideas
- Routinely check the clerk of courts for upcoming trials and events
- Follow up on on-going stories
- Coordinate coverage of big stories and planned events with the Executive Producers and/or newsroom managers
- Develop sources within the community, including government agencies and public relations representatives
- Participate in directing coverage plans under deadline pressure
- Develop daily talkbacks from area newspapers and people of interest
- Work at the assignment manager and play a supporting role as warranted in the pursuit of breaking news
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Solid news judgment and passion for news
- Ability to develop sources
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines, work different or extended shifts and flexible with schedule changes. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays