In a career as a Writer Editor you join a team that is changing the lives of youth and families every day.The Writer Editor will work with Boys Town across all business lines, including youth care/human services, healthcare, research and educational training/resources. This position creates, writes, and edits a variety of advertising, marketing, fundraising, promotional, informational, and media products, including online and broadcast advertising, video scripts, online content and program materials, books, catalogs and more to be disseminated both internally and externally. This position works directly with other internal Boys Town departments to deliver positive outcomes and ensures that all content is consistent with the Boys Town mission.
Schedule: Full Time M-F 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Ensures the quality of all types of products disseminated by Boys Town divisions and programs.
- Contributes writing, editing, and project development and organization skills and expertise to help Youth Care and Healthcare departments achieve their goals.
- Creates and revises products that are intended for use by parents, patients, donors, children, Youth Care and Healthcare workers, program administrators, and teachers,
- Materials created include advertising in multiple media, print and video youth and family stories, program collateral, online article and newsletter content, video scripts, books, booklets, manuals, blogs, and training materials.
- Creates, edits, and coordinates the production and development of print, video, and online materials for use internally and externally.
- Ensures that the content in all Boys Town programs, materials and products are consistent with Boys Town’s mission.
- Participates in meetings with Boys Town directors and supervisors to plan and determine the strategy and guiding objectives of communications projects.
- Prepares reports on the status of projects currently under development.
- Proofreads written materials for all Boys Town divisions including checking references and quotations; checking the accuracy of content; and checking the accuracy of grammar, syntax, and spelling.
- Serves as liaison between departments within Boys Town with regards to project development and production.
- Works with Boys Town’s Healthcare professionals and various child- and family care professionals both inside and outside of Boys Town with regards to the creation and development of child- and family-related projects/products.
- Leads and monitors Writing Team projects as assigned, serves as a project manager.
- Monitors progress of projects to ensure high-quality products and completion on time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Advertising, Marketing, Journalism, Communications, English, related field, or equivalent.
- 3 to 5 years of professional writing and editing; this can include advertising, marketing, , video scripts, articles, blogs, and training materials.
- Experience in communicating complex subject matter to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated professional writing and editing experience.
- Ability to discern and create stories in print, online, and video formats.
- Understanding of the technical requirements required to write video scripts, broadcast advertising, online content and advertising, articles, and more.
- Ability to adapt written content to multiple platforms, including , social media.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact comfortably and respectfully.
- Ability to lead and organize work independently and deliver products on schedule.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town’s mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.