Clarkson Potter, a leading publisher of illustrated lifestyle books in the categories of Food & Drink, Design, Photography, Gift & Pop Culture, and Entertainment, is excited to hire our next Editor in Chief, a pivotal and highly visible role within the company and in the industry.
The Editor in Chief will work with the Publisher to set editorial priorities for the publishing list, from identifying and pursuing the authors and books that will help define the imprint of the future to targeting opportunities in both established and emerging categories that play to and extend the Imprint’s strengths. In setting such priorities, you will take a leading role in shaping a program that speaks to, and is representative of, the diversity of our potential audiences and our society as a whole.
The following are some, though not all, of your responsibilities:
- Oversee and lead a department of 12 members, of varying levels of experience
- Develop the team’s personal and collective goals
- Mentor talent, from the most inexperienced up to senior levels
- Foster a highly collaborative workplace culture grounded in the values and practices of diversity and inclusion
- Prioritize the needs of the team to ensure smooth running of the department
- Collaborate with the Deputy Publisher to optimize processes across multiple departments and teams, including Design, Production, Publicity, Marketing, and Sales
- Lead as a key ambassador for the group, articulating its mission and building relationships with our many colleagues and external partners
- Acquire between 8 and 10 books a year, and edit 6 to 8 titles
A typical day may require you to traverse budgets (for both stand-alone titles and the business as a whole), timely acquisitions reads, a cover design meeting, key-account updates, and consumer insights reports, among other meetings and tasks, so a cross-disciplinary background and mindset is crucial to success.
Knowing the importance of this role, we are looking for you to match the following qualifications:
- Deep editorial background in books or other content-rich media spaces
- Previous experience managing a team of Editors or Creators is a plus, though other forms of leadership—such as through impactful creative or journalistic work, or positons held in adjacent cultural organizations—will also be considered closely
- Analytical mindset and the ability to talk through examples of when you’ve demonstrated this
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks on a regular basis, balancing deadlines with a focus on standard of quality and key relationships
- Roving curiosity for new voices and ideas and breaking trends (with staying power)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive necessary to channel innovation into book form
- An eye for beautiful design
- Experience implementing and leading strategies focused on diversity and inclusion across a range of areas, from hiring to training to acquisition and more
We’ve created our interview process to enable you to demonstrate your skills as much as possible, starting with the application. We are keen to read in a cover letter why you’re putting yourself forward for the role of Editor in Chief for Clarkson Potter. Apply now and share how you will steer us to success as we enter a new stage in our continued growth.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.