nside Higher Ed, the preeminent national daily online publication about higher education, seeks a managing editor to oversee its news operation. The managing editor will be the primary decision maker for how Inside Higher Ed’s team of reporters and editors covers and analyzes the fascinating and fast-changing higher education landscape.
Inside Higher Ed, which has 3.7 million unique monthly visitors and 175,000 daily subscribers,?engages in authoritative journalism that mixes news, enterprise and analysis, and its editors work closely with a talented team of reporters to conceive, craft and perfect their stories (or at least make them really, really good).
The managing editor, who will report to Inside Higher Ed’s editor, will work with and benefit from the knowledge of a group of editors with significant higher education and journalism experience. But with a mix of incisive vision, strong planning and determined leadership, the managing editor will guide the newsroom’s day-to-day work by:
- Having ultimate responsibility for what Inside Higher Ed publishes each day
- Managing a team of two section editors and eight reporters
- Working with those reporters and section editors to set the daily and long-term editorial agendas for Inside Higher Ed
- Generating story ideas and managing assignments
- Tracking production of the daily content
- Editing articles in conjunction with section editors
- Guiding our efforts to develop new ways to produce and deliver high-quality content
- Using and interpreting traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience